Re: Missing indexes

From: Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)ewie(dot)name>
To: Harish Harish <hpt3009(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Missing indexes
Date: 2024-03-01 17:48:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 2024-03-01 17:37 +0100, Harish Harish wrote:
> I need help. We are on Postgres 10.

General advice: Upgrade to a supported version because support for pg10
ended in November 2022.

> and have a feeling there are some indexes missing wich is causing
> performance issue

Are the table statistics up to date? Run ANALYZE on the relevant tables
to be sure.

> Please help me find the missing index within PostgreSQl 10.

You need to provide the queries in question and their execution plans[1]
with EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, BUFFERS). Table definitions (including indexes)
are also helpful.

Also good to know: Is it a performance regression caused by recent
changes to those queries? That may already give you hints on possibly
missing indexes.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/sql-explain.html

--
Erik