Is PostgreSQL supported on RHEL6?

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is PostgreSQL supported on RHEL6?
Date: 2011-03-17 11:06:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I have some software products which support RHEL5 for x86 and x86_64. Each
of them uses PostgreSQL 8.3.12 as a data repository. They all embed the same
PostgreSQL binaries.

Now I'm trying to support both RHEL5 and RHEL6 with minimal effort (but with
safety). If possible, I want to continue to use PostgreSQL 8.3.12 built on
RHEL5 for a while. Then, I'd like to ask some questions:

Q1: Is it safe to use PostgreSQL 8.3.12 on RHEL6? If it is not safe, what
kind of problems might happen?
I could build 8.3.12 successfully with 167 compilation warnings that report
"variable not used" and "uninitialized variable is used" etc. Even if I
could run PostgreSQL, I'm not sure that it is safe. I wonder if running the
regression tests reveals problems.

I searched the PostgreSQL mailing lists with "RHEL6" and found the
discussion regarding wal_sync_method and O_DSYNC/O_SYNC. The following fix
in 8.3.13 makes me wonder if I should update with 8.3.14 which is the latest
version of 8.3 series. Is it safe to use 8.3.12 on RHEL6 by setting
wal_sync_method to fdatasync?

8.3.13 release note
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/release-8-3-13.html
Force the default wal_sync_method to be fdatasync on Linux (Tom Lane, Marti
Raudsepp)
The default on Linux has actually been fdatasync for many years, but recent
kernel changes caused PostgreSQL to choose open_datasync instead. This
choice did not result in any performance improvement, and caused outright
failures on certain filesystems, notably ext4 with the data=journal mount
option.