Re: pg_dump and --inserts / --column-inserts

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump and --inserts / --column-inserts
Date: 2010-07-17 16:56:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Thomas Kellerer wrote on 17.07.2010 18:29:
>> Want to do some experiments?
>
> Apparently there *is* a substiantial overhead, but I suspected the
> sending of the raw SQL literal to be a major factor here.
> (Server and JDBC program were running on the same machine)

In case any one is interested.

Out of curiosity I ran the same test with a local Oracle installation (10.2) and there the overhead is substantially lower (for 20 columns, only 2% slower, compared to 26% with Postgres)

I can't run something equivalent to explain analyze in Oracle from within JDBC, so I could not compare those figures. But it seems that either the parsing overhead in Oracle is lower or the JDBC driver is more efficient...

Regards
Thomas