Re: PostgreSQL vs. Microsoft SQL server

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. Microsoft SQL server
Date: 2010-05-02 09:26:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Greg Smith wrote on 02.05.2010 01:16:
> Scott Ribe wrote:
>> PG's locking scheme, MVCC, basically precludes certain specific
>> optimizations that means a small number of very specific queries don't
>> perform as well, while at the same time it means that throughput with
>> multiple simultaneous connections scales extremely well with multiple
>> processors.
>
> SQL Server uses MVCC too as of their 2005 release, implemented with row
> versioning similarly to Postgres. The main non-MVCC holdout at this
> point is DB2.

AFAIK even in a fresh install of SQL Server 2008 the row versioning is turned off by default (at least this is true for 2005)
I don't know if this is for compatibility reason or because of the performance penalty that comes with it

And DB2 9.7 introduced MVCC as part of their Oracle compatibility.

Thomas