Re: Upgrading Database: need to dump and restore?

From: "Carlos Oliva" <carlos(at)pbsinet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading Database: need to dump and restore?
Date: 2009-06-03 20:06:17
Lists: pgsql-general

""Grzegorz Jaskiewicz"" <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in message
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Carlos Oliva <carlos(at)pbsinet(dot)com> wrote:
> Woudl it be possible to keep the current postgresql version running in a
> different port, install a new version of postgresql, and copy the data
> from
> one version to the other while both versions are running? This might give
> us time to copy the tables and databases one at a time and reconfigure the
> database access for parts of the application until we complete the
> migration
> to the new version.
Yes it is possible. You can setup new version of postgresql with new
data directory, in different location (say /var/pg_new/data), run it
on different port, and have multiple postgresql installations running
side by side.
What OS do you run, and where do you get postgresql binaries from.

_Please stop replying on top_. Top posting is a baad thing on mailing lists.