Re: Need to run pg_dump from the laptop without entering the password

From: Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)ewie(dot)name>
To: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need to run pg_dump from the laptop without entering the password
Date: 2023-10-23 01:00:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 2023-10-23 01:55 +0200, Ron wrote:
> On 10/22/23 18:19, Erik Wienhold wrote:
> [snip]
> > The hostname in pgpass.conf is
> > case-sensitive (not mentioned in the docs), so it must match the exact
> > spelling as in the connection parameters.
>
> That annoys me to. no. end.  Hostnames being lowercase here, uppercase
> there, and mixed case somewhere else and all working just fine *except*
> .pgpass regularly bites me when scripting.

I know. Found a thread [1] of yours when searching for a reference
because I was sure that I read about that behavior somewhere. But
apparently it's undocumented. Here's a patch that adds a note.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/a5b3740b-a665-7afe-052b-4382d6daf733%40gmail.com

--
Erik

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-doc-Add-note-on-case-sensitive-matching-in-passwo.patch text/plain 1.1 KB