Re: vacuumdb: permission denied for schema "pg_temp_7"

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, vaibhave postgres <postgresvaibhave(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, vsekar(at)microsoft(dot)com
Subject: Re: vacuumdb: permission denied for schema "pg_temp_7"
Date: 2024-09-24 14:49:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2024/09/24 23:26, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> Yeah, this is what I mentioned upthread [0]. If the user doesn't specify
> anything in --table or --schema, then it's probably fine to silently skip
> objects for which they lack privileges. But if they do explicitly specify
> a table or schema that they cannot vacuum, then IMHO it'd be better to
> fail.

This could be debatable. To be honest, if I run something like vacuumdb mydb,
*I* expect all eligible tables in that database to be vacuumed. If I forget to
grant the necessary privileges to the role, I’d prefer to see errors from
vacuumdb so I can fix the permissions.

If we decide to skip tables without enough privilege, I’d prefer adding
an option like --skip-unprivileged-tables rather than changing the default behavior.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center