Re: Barman backup fails after upgrade to PostgreSQL 10

From: "Georg H(dot)" <georg-h(at)silentrunner(dot)de>
To: Marco DE BOOIJ <marco(dot)maillist(at)debooy(dot)eu>, pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Barman backup fails after upgrade to PostgreSQL 10
Date: 2018-03-18 11:54:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello Marco,

Am 18.03.2018 um 12:21 schrieb Marco DE BOOIJ:
> After my upgrade of PostgreSQL 9.6 to 10.3 the backups through barman
> fails. There is not much data change in the database but I still do
> not want to loose the data. I have verified the configuration and all
> seems correct for Barman and PostgreSQL . I have tried to find the
> answer on the internet but I was not able to find it. Both Barman and
> PostgreSQL run on the same server.

> When I run 'barman backup all' I get the following output:
>
> ERROR: Backup failed copying files.
> DETAILS: data transfer failure on directory
> '/srv/share/backup/barman/maat/base/20180317T233002/data'
> pg_basebackup error:
> pg_basebackup: could not connect to server: FATAL:  number of
> requested standby connections exceeds max_wal_senders (currently 2)
> maat 20180317T233002 - FAILED

Have you tried so set max_wal_senders to a higher value? iirc the
default value for postgresql10 is max_wal_senders = 10
> In the barman.log there are the following lines around this message
> (indicated with ....):

also worth checking is your servers barman conf file
(/etc/barman.d/xxx.conf) which has a line at the end pointing to the
postgres binaries path to use.
What means that you have to have postgresql-client package version 10 on
your barman server and have to change your config pointing to the new path.

kind regards
Georg