Arrays of arrays

From: rsmogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>
To: Pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Arrays of arrays
Date: 2011-04-07 09:39:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

May I ask if PostgreSQL supports arrays of arrays directly or
indirectly, or if such support is planned? I'm interested about pseudo
constructs like:
1. Directly - (integer[4])[5] - this is equivalent to multidimensional
array, but may be differently represented on protocol serialization (as
array with array of elements).
2. Indirectly - like create domain d as integer[6], d[11], or by any
other means.

Currently, I think both of this, are unsupported and array should be
only base type. I ask about this, to create extend array support in
JDBC.

Regards,
Radek.