Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest

From: "Euler Taveira" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jelte Fennema" <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest
Date: 2024-08-15 03:16:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 14, 2024, at 8:19 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl> writes:
> > I'd like to send an automatic mail to a thread whenever it gets added
> > to a commitfest. Since this would impact everyone that's subscribed to
> > the mailinglist I'd like some feedback on this. This mail would
> > include:
>
> > 1. A very short blurb like: "This thread was added to the commitfest
> > with ID 1234"
> > 2. A link to the commitfest entry
> > 3. A link to the cfbot CI runs
> > 4. A link to the diff on GitHub
> > 5. Any other suggestions?
>
> +1 for the basic idea. An awful lot of people send such mails
> manually already, so this'd replace that effort in a more predictable
> way. Not sure about your 3 & 4 points though, especially if that'd
> mean some delay in sending the mail. For one thing, wouldn't those
> links be stale as soon as the initial patch got replaced? Those
> links seem like they ought to live in the commitfest entry.

+1. Regarding the CI link, I would be good if the CF entry automatically adds a
link to the CI run. It can be a separate field or even add it to "Links".

https://cirrus-ci.com/github/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/cf/$CFENTRYID

I'm not sure about 4, you can always check the latest patch in the CF entry (it
is usually the "latest attachment") and that's what the cfbot uses to run.

If I understand your proposal correctly, there will be another email to the
thread if the previous CF was closed and someone opened a new CF entry.
Sometimes some CF entries are about the same thread.

--
Euler Taveira
EDB https://www.enterprisedb.com/