Re: integrate Postgres Users Authentication with our own LDAP Server

From: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: integrate Postgres Users Authentication with our own LDAP Server
Date: 2019-05-09 06:17:37
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On 9/5/19 7:51 π.μ., M Tarkeshwar Rao wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We would need to integrate Postgres Users Authentication with our own LDAP Server.
>
> Basically as of now we are able to login to Postgress DB with a user/password credential.
>
> These user objects are the part of Postgres DB server. Now we want that these users should be authenticated by LDAP server.
>
> We would want the authentication to be done with LDAP, so basically the user credentials should be store in LDAP server
>
> Can you mention the prescribed steps in Postgres needed for this integration with LDAP Server?

The users must be existent as postgresql users. Authorization : roles, privileges etc also will be taken by postgresql definitions, grants, etc. But the authentication will be done in LDAP.
It is done in pg_hba.conf. There are two ways to do this (with 1 or 2 phases). We have successfully used both Lotus Notes LDAP and FreeIPA LDAP with our production PostgreSQL servers, I have tested
with openldap as well, so I guess chances are that it will work with yours.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead