Re: Bundling postgreSQL with my Java application

From: Saurabh Dave <saurabhdave(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Cottenceau <gc(at)mnc(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bundling postgreSQL with my Java application
Date: 2009-07-06 07:17:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

>No offense intended - but have you looked at the documentation for
postgresql.conf?

>If you are going to include PostgreSQL in your application, I'd highly
recommend you >understand what you are including. :-)

I had a look into the documentation of postgres.conf, and tried a lot with
changing paramters I thought would improve the performance, but in vain.
Autovaccum is enabled by default in 8.3.7 , but i reduced the nap time so
that it happens more frequently.

My personal opinion is that certain parameters in postgres.conf are simply
too technical in nature for a application developer like me, it becomes more
of a trial and error kind of frustrating process.

If there a utility that understands the system specification on which
postgres is going to run and change the paramters accordingly, that would
help.

Thanks,
Saurabh