Re: Upgrading old server

From: Ekaterina Amez <ekaterina(dot)amez(at)zunibal(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading old server
Date: 2019-09-26 05:51:16
Lists: pgsql-general

El 25/9/19 a las 20:21, Adrian Klaver escribió:
> On 9/25/19 9:00 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

I won't use v11 because the existing server where de DB is going to be
re-allocated is v8.4. Our Postgres servers are "a bit" out-dated.

>>> Since it's recommend to run the newer pg_dump on the older database,
>>> I've
>>> got to wonder if v11 pg_dump can read the v7.4 on-disk structures.
>>
>> We dropped support for pre-8.0 source servers in pg_dump sometime
>> recently, though I forget if v11 is affected by that or not.
>
> Version 10.0:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/release-10.html

Ok, v10 release notes says it explicitly:

*

Remove pg_dump/pg_dumpall support for dumping from pre-8.0 servers
(Tom Lane)

Users needing to dump from pre-8.0 servers will need to use dump
programs from PostgreSQL 9.6 or earlier. The resulting output should
still load successfully into newer servers.

>> You could try just dumping with 7.4's pg_dump and seeing if the
>> output will load into v11 --- ideally it would, but I'd not be
>> surprised if there are issues that have to be resolved manually.
>> Or, if you have 8.4's pg_dump at hand, try using that.
Yes, that's what I have for my tests: 8.4's pg_dump.

>> 7.4 to 11 is a big jump to be doing in one step.  There's definitely
>> something to be said for porting to an intermediate release, just to
>> break down the work into smaller chunks.  But I'd go for halfway
>> between,
>> which if I counted releases correctly would be about 9.1, not 8.4.
>>
>>             regards, tom lane

v8.4 is mandatory middle step, because we'd like to remove v7.14 ASAP
and the only available server is 8.4. After that upgrade is what I'm
talking about. I was thinking as you, Tom: upgrading to v11 is really a
big jump. v10 is also a big jump that scares me less, but maybe going
first to 9.6 (which gives us a couple of years) would be a better
solution that could let us experiment with some of the new performance
features we're interested in.