Re: checkpoint process use too much memory

From: MichaelDBA <MichaelDBA(at)sqlexec(dot)com>
To: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
Cc: jian xu <jamesxu(at)outlook(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: checkpoint process use too much memory
Date: 2020-04-20 19:37:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

You said: "the work_mem is 128MB, so they could use mostly 25GB memory,"

But work_mem is sometimes very deceiving based on types of queries
executed.  You may need many work_mem buffers for a single query. So 8
buffers used = 1GB.  So it could conceivable surpass 25GB easily.  I
would do some explaining on your SQL workload.

Regards,
Michael Vitale