Re: easy way to acquire height / width from images (PNG, JPEG) stored as bytea?

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: easy way to acquire height / width from images (PNG, JPEG) stored as bytea?
Date: 2020-04-17 14:47:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On 17/04/2020 13:37, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> Hello Dear List,
>
> we have a table holding email attachments as bytea, and we would like
> to filter out images of small dimensions, which are not of any value
> to our logic.
>
> I took a look at pg_image extension, tested it, and it proved
> problematic, it killed my 200+ days uptime FreeBSD box :( . I dropped
> the extension and uninstalled this as soon as fsck finally finished.

If running an extension crashed your server you should look at how /
why, especially if it corrupted your filesystem.

That shouldn't happen on a correctly configured system, so the
underlying issue might cause you other problems. Crashing postgresql,
sure, but not anything that impacts the rest of the server.

Cheers,
  Steve