Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded

From: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, knizhnik(at)garret(dot)ru
Cc: pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com, dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com, hannuk(at)google(dot)com, hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Date: 2023-06-14 07:06:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/14/23 09:01, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> At Wed, 14 Jun 2023 08:46:05 +0300, Konstantin Knizhnik <knizhnik(at)garret(dot)ru> wrote in
>> But I do not think that it is somehow related with using threads
>> instead of process.
>> The question whether to use private or shared cache is not directly
>> related to threads vs. process choice.
>
> Yeah, I unconsciously conflated the two things. We can use per-thread
> cache on multithreading.

For sure, and we can drop the cache when dropping the memory context.
And in the first versions of an imagined threaded PostgreSQL I am sure
that is how things will work.

Then later someone will have to investigate which caches are worth
making shared and what the eviction/expiration strategy should be.

Andreas