Re: Converting to identity columns with domains on PK columns

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: PegoraroF10 <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Converting to identity columns with domains on PK columns
Date: 2019-07-05 20:22:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On 7/5/19 1:01 PM, PegoraroF10 wrote:
> Adrian, on Firebird if you create a table or procedure with fields or params
> declared with domains, they can be used with those domains or with their
> base type. On Postgres I32 is not equal to integer.
>
> create procedure myproc(id i32) returns(x i32) as ...
>
> select * from myproc(cast(5 as integer)) -- works on firebird. On Postgres
> it doesn´t because that procedure or function expects for a I32 and not a
> integer.

Tom beat me to the example. Still the point is that I think you are
going to find that there is not that much difference between Firebird
and Postgres on this point.

To get back to the original case, is there a specific reason you want a
IDENTITY column on the id field?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com