Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?

From: Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Raymond Brinzer <ray(dot)brinzer(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?
Date: 2022-02-11 06:43:25
Lists: pgsql-general

I get all this. Give me a couple million bucks, and I’ll hire some of the Postgres devs to build a new database. We could crib some of the low-level code from Postgres, but everything above the low level would need to be rewritten.

I was proposing more that we at least provide higher-level, more general, orthogonal etc features in the SQL we have now. eg first-class functions could be added to SQL reasonably easily.