Re: UTC is not a time zone?

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UTC is not a time zone?
Date: 2024-05-13 18:26:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On 5/13/24 11:18 AM, Christophe Pettus wrote:

>> On May 13, 2024, at 11:17, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> What's causing that I can't say. It doesn't look like we log the
>> errno anywhere when failing to read a zone file :-(
>
> File descriptor exhaustion? (Of course, that would mean something somewhere is leaking them, which is another problem.)

If I am understanding this correctly:

"The parent process would long since have cached the zone data in its
memory, but this error is in a parallel worker process, which'd have
to read the file for itself during startup.
"

Then this:

"As an experiment, I'm just pounding the server with a single connection
doing nothing but SET TIMEZONEs repeatedly. So far, no break, but it is
*very* intermittent."

May not induce the error unless there are parallel workers involved.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com