Re: select results on pg_class incomplete

From: Thiemo Kellner <thiemo(at)gelassene-pferde(dot)biz>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: select results on pg_class incomplete
Date: 2024-03-15 10:42:51
Lists: pgsql-general

> You solve a problem that no one has. Data belonging together may still be divided into schemas in a database. Thus, the metadata is also reported and archived individually per database.

I am not sure, we are taking about the same problem, but would be
surprised to be the only one having experienced filling disks. Maybe, I
am just that old already that disk space has become so cheep, the
problem does not exist any longer.

With respect to metadata and databases: The point is not that I cannot
see the tables in another schema (I believe, did not check yet), but in
other databases. While this actually does not matter much, I still hold
it true that a disk getting filled up does not care in which database or
schema a explosively growing table resides. So, if I have a disk getting
filled up, I would like to get easily information on the problematic
structures in one go. With PostgreSQL this does not seem to be possible
out of the box. I now can query each database separately, or I can
create auxiliary structures like dblink and views to accommodate for a
"single" query solution. My two dimes.