Re: Introduce new multi insert Table AM and improve performance of various SQL commands with it for Heap AM

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Luc Vlaming <luc(at)swarm64(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Introduce new multi insert Table AM and improve performance of various SQL commands with it for Heap AM
Date: 2024-08-27 21:37:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2024-08-26 at 11:09 +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 12:42 PM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Please find the v22 patches with the above changes.
>
> Please find the v23 patches after rebasing 0005 and adapting 0004 for
> 9758174e2e.

In patches 0002-0004, they must avoid the multi insert path when there
are before-row triggers, instead-of-row triggers, or volatile functions
used (see copyfrom.c:917-1006).

Also, until we decide on the RETURNING clause, we should block the
multi-insert path for that, as well, or implement it by using the
callback to copy tuples into the caller's context.

In 0003, why do you need the global insert_modify_buffer_flush_context?

0004 is the only place that calls table_modify_buffer_flush(). Is that
really necessary, or is automatic flushing enough?

Regards,
Jeff Davis