Re: How can I set up Postgres to use given amount of RAM?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How can I set up Postgres to use given amount of RAM?
Date: 2022-06-26 23:39:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/26/22 14:40, W.P. wrote:
> Question in topic:
>
> "How can I set up Postgres to use given amount of RAM?"
>
> I have now laptop with 8GB of RAM, i can see Linux uses no more than
> 2-3GB.
>
> So my question is how to FORCE PostgreSQL
>
> use let's say 2-4Ghow to B of RAM for caching tables  I run queries on?
>
> As I can see disk actity running queries.
>

> W.P..

I would try docker with --memory option. An alternative is to create a
VM with the given amount of memory. If your laptop is memory starved,
then creating a VM is probably not an option. Docker is much cheaper.
Dockerfile is relatively simple to master and you can use Docker to run
almost anything.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala