Re: Password encryption in oracle_fdw extention

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Mukesh Rajpurohit <vivasvan1902(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Password encryption in oracle_fdw extention
Date: 2021-03-27 10:17:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, 2021-03-26 at 22:46 +0530, Mukesh Rajpurohit wrote:
> I want to use encrypted oracle password in oracle_ fdw extention to connect to oracle.
> But seems this option is not available in oracle_fdw. I know we can use oracle wallet
> but in that too we have to configure plain text oracle password which we do not want to do.
> Please suggest if any other alternate.

I don't think you can use encrypted passwords with Oracle. Can you point me to
documentation if that is not true?

Anyway, if you don't want a password in the user mapping, the way to go is
external authentication. You could use the "secure" external password store,
which stores the encrypted password in a wallet, or you could use SSL
certificate authentication.

To use an external authentication method with oracle_fdw, specify an empty
user name. Also, watch out: I am not an expert with Oracle's licencing policies
(that would be a full time job), but you may need to pay extra if you want good
security.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe