Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

From: "D(dot)J(dot) Heap" <djheap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Lee Keel" <lee(dot)keel(at)uai(dot)com>, dfx(at)dfx(dot)it, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?
Date: 2007-06-22 14:57:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/22/07, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
[snip]

> Exactly what I wrote. By default, the .\Administrator account is
> disabled on Vista so you cannot login to it, or runas it. It's easy to
> re-enable from the Users and Groups MMC snapin of course.

Ah yes, but I don't recall doing anything special during Vista
installation and it still made my personal user an administrator so I
have never needed to use 'the' administrator account. Perhaps I told
it to make me an admin during installation, but I don't think so.

[snip]

> I'm not saying what you suggest won't work, only that you cannot do it
> on an out-of-the-box install.

That has not been my experience, but as I said above, perhaps I told
it to make me an admin during installation -- I don't recall for sure.

> For the record, I've updated the installer for 8.3 to properly work with
> UAC.

Great, thank you!

DJ