Re: A starter task

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(at)vondra(dot)me>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: sia kc <siavosh(dot)kasravi(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A starter task
Date: 2024-09-15 20:53:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/15/24 22:43, Tom Lane wrote:
> Tomas Vondra <tomas(at)vondra(dot)me> writes:
>> I think you can take a look at https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo and
>> see if there's a patch/topic you would be interested in. It's really
>> difficult to "assign" a task based on a single sentence, with no info
>> about the person (experience with other projects, etc.).
>
> Beware that that TODO list is poorly maintained, so items may be out
> of date. Worse, most of what's there got there because it's hard,
> or there's not consensus about what the feature should look like,
> or both. So IMO it's not a great place for a beginner to start.

True, some of the items may be obsolete, some are likely much harder
than expected (or perhaps even infeasible), etc. But it's the only such
list we have, and it is at least a reasonable overview of the areas.

Presumably a new contributor will start by discussing the patch first,
and won't waste too much time on it.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra