commit within function

From: Anj Adu <fotographs(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: commit within function
Date: 2009-07-15 21:58:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

Is there a way to issue a commit within a function and continue processing?
I know this is not possible in 8.1..

We have long running function calls...parts of which are independent of each
other. The independent functions are called within a "main" outer function.
We would like to commit the data modified by each function as a single unit
so that the data is freed up for other modules to act on.

Are there any future postgres releases (we use 8.1.9) that possible address
this.