backing up a PostGRES DB

From: Richard Sickler <richard(dot)sickler(at)avagotech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: backing up a PostGRES DB
Date: 2009-04-01 15:14:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I'm putting together a web app that uses PostGRES as a backend and I'm
looking for comments on backup strategy.
The entire web app, (Tomcat and PostGRES), will be run in a virtual
machine. I was thinking about quiescing the DB, then copying the files that
make up the virtual machine to some network attached backup store. This
will be done once a day.
I ask this august body, based on your experiences, does this sound like a
reasonable plan, or would doing something like running pgdump be better, or
????
Thanks for the help one and all.

Rich S.