Re: On a subscriber, why is last_msg_send_time in pg_stat_subscription sometimes null?

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Koen De Groote <kdg(dot)dev(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2024-08-23 20:14:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8/23/24 12:31, Koen De Groote wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> Thanks for pointing me at the source code.
>
> Digging a bit, the view seems to eventually get its data on last msg
> send time from here:
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/replication/logical/launcher.c;h=c566d50a072b92bd07f4179100275d0d0b1f4c7c;hb=HEAD#l1288 <https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/replication/logical/launcher.c;h=c566d50a072b92bd07f4179100275d0d0b1f4c7c;hb=HEAD#l1288>
>
> And in particular, this:
>
> 1332         if (worker.last_send_time == 0)
> 1333             nulls[5] = true;
> 1334         else
> 1335             values[5] = TimestampTzGetDatum(worker.last_send_time);
> 1336         if (worker.last_recv_time == 0)
> 1337             nulls[6] = true;
> 1338         else
> 1339             values[6] = TimestampTzGetDatum(worker.last_recv_time);
>
> I don't have any knowledge of C, or postgres internals, so I may well be
> wrong in what follows:
>
> From the bit of comment you posted my impression is that this means
> there are separate workers that each send their update, that is then
> reflected in the output of the pg_stat_subscription table... many
> workers, but only 1 table to show metrics, to show both the update by
> the leader and the parallel workers...

This is getting out of my depth, but that has not stopped me before so
onward.

I think it is important to realize parallel workers are optional:

streaming (enum)

Specifies whether to enable streaming of in-progress transactions
for this subscription. The default value is off, meaning all
transactions are fully decoded on the publisher and only then sent to
the subscriber as a whole.

If set to on, the incoming changes are written to temporary files
and then applied only after the transaction is committed on the
publisher and received by the subscriber.

If set to parallel, incoming changes are directly applied via one
of the parallel apply workers, if available. If no parallel apply worker
is free to handle streaming transactions then the changes are written to
temporary files and applied after the transaction is committed. Note
that if an error happens in a parallel apply worker, the finish LSN of
the remote transaction might not be reported in the server log.

> And these parallel workers get created on the fly, I assume? So they
> might well have a last_send_time of 0 if they haven't done anything yet?
>
> What I would expect to see is a table that tells me how a particular
> publishers/subscriber is doing, and the metrics around that process, and
> the concept of "when data was last sent" to be persistent on the level
> of the publisher/subscriber, not based on the lifespan of ephemeral
> workers that each time they get created start at 0 and so now the table
> claims "last_send_msg" is NULL because of it.

Some combination of?:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/view-pg-replication-slots.html