Re: PostgreSQL 16 release announcement draft

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, chelseadole(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 16 release announcement draft
Date: 2023-08-24 15:38:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-08-24 11:23, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> SELECT $1::int + $2::int \bind 1 2 \g

One cast also works, letting type inference figure out the other.
So if I say

SELECT $1::int + $2 \gdesc

it tells me the result will be int. That made me wonder if there is
a \gdesc variant to issue the "statement variant" Describe message
and show what the parameter types have been inferred to be. If
there's not, obviously it won't be in 16, but it might be useful.

Regards,
-Chap