Re: Postgres 8.3, four times slower queries?

From: Aaron Guyon <battlemage(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres 8.3, four times slower queries?
Date: 2009-03-04 23:20:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Comparisons on
> numerics aren't terribly fast though (in either release). I wonder
> whether you could change the key columns to int or bigint.

I changed the affected columns from numeric to integers and I was unable to
get any performance gain:
8.3.3: 1195 ms
8.2.12: 611 ms

I've attached the new query plans.

Are you doing
> something to force the join order, like running with a small
> join_collapse_limit setting? If so maybe you shouldn't.

No, we left the join_collapse_limit to the default 8. We tried a higher
value, but there was no difference in performance.

I'll post the query and the table descriptions in separate messages to the
list to avoid my mail from being rejected for exceeding the size limit :)

Attachment Content-Type Size
analyze_8_2_12_ints.txt text/plain 6.1 KB
analyze_8_3_3_ints.txt text/plain 6.6 KB