Postgres 8.3, four times slower queries?

From: Aaron Guyon <battlemage(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres 8.3, four times slower queries?
Date: 2009-03-03 00:18:30
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

We are currently running postgres 8.2 and are evaluating the upgrade to 8.3.

Some of our tests are indicating that postgresql 8.3 is actually degrading
the
performance of some of our queries by a factor of 10 or more. The queries
in
question are selects that are heavy on joins (~10 tables) with a lot of
timestamp-based conditions in where clauses. The tables and queries are
tuned,
that is, there is no issue with the table structure, or missing indexes.
This
is a side-by-side query performance measurement between 8.2 and 8.3 with an
identical dataset and schema.

8.2.12 8.3.3
Time (ms) Time (ms)
1st 2nd 1st 2nd
time time time time

Query 1 759 130 3294 1758

attached you will find the explain analyze for this query. Any insight into
this issue would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Attachment Content-Type Size
analyze_8_3_3.txt text/plain 6.9 KB
analyze_8_2_12.txt text/plain 6.0 KB