Re: Is my lecturer wrong about PostgreSQL? I think he is!

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)lists(dot)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is my lecturer wrong about PostgreSQL? I think he is!
Date: 2019-10-09 19:45:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Assuming you're not a troll ...

On Wed, 2019-10-09 at 20:06 +0100, Pól Ua Laoínecháin wrote:
> 1) Is my lecturer full of it or does he really have a point?

He's more than full of it. PostgreSQL has had a few bugs over the year
that could have resulted in data corruption, but they're pretty rare and
fixed as soon as they're found. PostgreSQL is the most reliable software
I run, and virtually the only major piece I don't hesitate to upgrade
without waiting to see what bugs other people find first.

> 4) What is the OS of choice for *_serious_* PostgreSQL installations?

That's a religious question, not a technical question. I think even
Microsoft makes a decent server OS nowadays. But I expect a large
majority of PostgreSQL installations are running on Linux, as are the
vast majority of all server apps nowadays. Having said that, I don't run
a "serious" PostgreSQL installation; some of the people here run
databases that do tens of thousands of TPS and hold many TiB of data.
You'd have to ask them I guess.