Re: PHP sucks!! - was: persistent db connections in PHP

From: "John Smith" <jayzee(dot)smith(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PHP sucks!! - was: persistent db connections in PHP
Date: 2007-06-17 20:50:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/17/07, Tom Allison <tom(at)tacocat(dot)net> wrote:

> Perl has a high entry barrier.

yeah right ;).

perl is time-tested better for sys admin than the web. and we all know how
sys admins want to use the same code for the web but it doesn't cut right.
*if anything* php is 'enhanced perl' for the web, atleast that's how it
started.

it's always a balance between usability and functionality. the market, the
enterprise adoption etc, all tell us that php strikes a fine balance.

like going to a client meeting where i got to sell postgresql in
spanish/french. i am not going to fight with them about why english is
better *if* it is, i am going to give them the best they want and close the
deal.

btw i got a database/language in my basement. it's the best in the world but
only i can use it. but i am also not going to cry when the market doesn't
adopt it.
jzs