[Pljava-dev] Portal object leak

From: thomas at tada(dot)se (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Portal object leak
Date: 2007-01-22 11:16:27
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi Ryan,
Some answers inline...

Ryan Holmes wrote:
> 1.) With very little C experience, am I wasting my time trying to fix
> the issue? I'm just asking for your best guess.

My best guess would be not doing it. The C code in there is fairly advanced.

> 2.) What the heck is a Portal object anyway? Is it a handle to a
> result set / cursor?

Yes, it's very similar.

> 3.) I noticed there was an update to SPIStatement.java and
> SPIDatabaseMetaData.java about 3.5 months ago with the commit message
> "Fixed some issues with Meta-data." The updates look like they might
> be relevant. Are these updates included in 1.3.0 and/or in the
> version of PL/Java that ships with the PG 8.2 Windows installer? I
> guess the real question is, am I debugging a problem that's already
> been fixed? Since I'm on Windows here and haven't used MinGW before,
> I haven't even tried compiling from HEAD.

They are not part of 1.3.0. They have to be part of anything that compiles with PostgreSQL 8.2.

> 4.) Would you be open to accepting payment to fix this yourself or do
> you simply not have the time? We (my company) think PL/Java is an
> ideal solution for our DB logic and it seems quite robust in all but
> this one area, so dedicating some of my time and/or paying for a fix
> is definitely on the table.

I'm incredibly busy at least until EclipseCon (5-8 March) is over. After that I might be
able to squeeze some time in so if you're not in a great hurry, let's postpone that
discussion until then.

I'm of course very open to contributions from anyone that would like to jump in an fix this.

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren