Re: [HACKERS] Re: Nasty resource-leak problem in sort code

From: geek+(at)cmu(dot)edu
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Nasty resource-leak problem in sort code
Date: 1999-05-07 16:18:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Then <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> spoke up and said:
> After further thought it seems that adding code to release temporary
> files at transaction abort is the best solution. I propose the
> following fix:
[ explanation snipped ]

Uhm, this all seems unnecessarily complicated. Shouldn't the process
look more like this:
fp = open('tempfile');
unlink('tempfile');

This way, when the file is closed, the space is freed. The only
complication I can see is if backends need to share the file handle,
or it needs to be re-opened. This works with all sorts of temp-file
situations.

Of course, it's not NT safe, since I don't believe that NT provides
for deleting open files (NT file libs sucks.

| JAVA must have been developed in the wilds of West Virginia. |
| After all, why else would it support only single inheritance?? |
| Finger geek(at)cmu(dot)edu for my public key. |