Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)lists(dot)simkin(dot)ca>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),
Date: 2019-10-21 15:17:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 2019-10-21 at 20:40 +0530, Avinash Kumar wrote:
> can't he destroy the offline backups and your database ?
> This is not a right justification to encouraging Offline Backups over
> Online Backups.
> If you are worried about storing your online backups through internet
> on cloud (i do not agree as you can still secure your data on cloud),
> store it in on a server in your Organizational network and do not push
> them through internet.
> Taking Offline Backups is not the only right way to ensure Reliable
> Backups.
> We are way ahead of the days where you need to face downtime to take
> backups.
> Online Backups are reliable in PostgreSQL.

I apologize, I think we have a difference in terminology here. Obviously
you don't need to take PostgreSQL out of service to take a backup. I
don't know that you ever did; pg_dump even has always worked fine while
the database is available.

When I say offline backup I mean a backup that is stored in a way that
it cannot be accessed via the Internet.