Re: Documentation building broken in CFBot

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Documentation building broken in CFBot
Date: 2020-11-11 16:13:22
Lists: pgsql-www

On 11/11/20 11:11 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> On 11/11/20 10:43 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I wonder if we should start passing "--nonet" to xmllint et al. I've
>>> always felt that that silent reach into the internet was an anti-feature
>>> on numerous grounds: it's slow, it's not very secure, it makes the results
>>> uncertainly reproducible, etc etc etc.
>
>> It was still bugging out for me locally with --nonet, but that could
>> also be operator error.
>
> The point of --nonet is that then you would *have to* install the DTDs
> locally in order to build the docs.

Yup, I had tried installing the DTDs locally, and clearly failed at it
:) I also did not spend too much time trying to troubleshoot my failures.

> (Well, I wouldn't be quite that draconian about it; if we do this,
> I think it should be more like "we use --nonet by default but you can
> override that".)
That sounds reasonable.

Also FWIW yesterday I had tried quickly swapping the DTD references to
use HTTPS but still hit similar issues, and per above I did not spend
much time trying to troubleshoot.

Jonathan

Attachment Content-Type Size
OpenPGP_0xF1049C729F1C6527.asc application/pgp-keys 12.4 KB