Re: monitoring CREATE INDEX [CONCURRENTLY]

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahila(dot)syed(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: monitoring CREATE INDEX [CONCURRENTLY]
Date: 2019-04-05 14:46:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It seems we can easily extend this to also monitor REINDEX
[CONCURRENTLY]. Attached is a quick patch.

For the concurrently part, we currently don't have any phases defined
for the index swap and drop, but maybe we can just skip that initially.
What happens if we don't have those?

It might be nice to have a column in the view not only for the table OID
but also the index OID. That is obviously not so useful for CREATE
INDEX but more useful for REINDEX. I haven't looked into how adding
that would work.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Report-progress-of-REINDEX-operations.patch text/plain 4.1 KB