Re: pgsql 10.19 : "ERROR: cannot convert infinity to numeric" except there is no infinity

From: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql 10.19 : "ERROR: cannot convert infinity to numeric" except there is no infinity
Date: 2022-07-19 17:10:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks David

Στις 19/7/22 17:19, ο/η David G. Johnston έγραψε:
> On Tuesday, July 19, 2022, Achilleas Mantzios
> <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com> wrote:
>

> ERROR:  cannot convert infinity to numeric
>
> -- has no problem testing against infinity
>
> select it.id <http://it.id> ,cept.value::numeric as val,
> numrange(ceptl.min_alarm::numeric,ceptl.max_alarm::numeric
> ,'()') as range from items it, cept_report cept , dynacom.vessels
> vsl, machdefs md, cept_reportlimits ceptl wh
> ere it.id <http://it.id>=cept.id <http://cept.id> AND
> md.defid=ceptl.defid AND it.defid=md.defid AND it.vslwhid=vsl.id
> <http://vsl.id> AND vsl.vslstatus='Acti
> ve' and md.application = 'Critical Equipment Performance Test' AND
> cept.systemdate>= (now()-'1 year'::interval
> ) AND  cept.value='inf' ORDER BY 1;
> id | val | range
> (0 rows)
>

> The column cept.value contains an infinity.  I see nothing unusual in
> any of these queries given that fact.  If you try to cast the infinity
> to numeric it will fail.  If that doesn’t happen the query won’t fail.

Sorry I must have been dizzy today with so much support.

Yep, there are some infinity in there, but not in this result set.

I think when the casting is in the WHERE filter for some reason some
subplan uses this filter (and fails). But when this check is applied to
the result, no infinity is found and works correctly.