Re: Exporting TBs of data in Oracle schema/database into CSV format to migrate into PostgreSQL

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Pepe TD Vo <pepevo(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Kellerer <shammat(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Exporting TBs of data in Oracle schema/database into CSV format to migrate into PostgreSQL
Date: 2020-04-20 14:39:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 2020-04-20 at 14:02 +0000, Pepe TD Vo wrote:
> we can access Oracle table within Postgres? How? Need to create a database link
> and/or how can both talk to each other?

That would be the Oracle foreign data wrapper:
https://laurenz.github.io/oracle_fdw/

> My data is from production, can turn off the foreign key. Is there a way to copy
> data from Oracle to Postgres faster? Should I export the Oracle data table via
> dump file as text/csv and insert it into Postgres? Can we use an oracle dump file?

You cannot use an Oracle dump, because that is in a proprietary format.

Using the foreign data wrapper, you define a foreign table in PostgreSQL.
When you select from that table, the data are directly fetched from Oracle.

Then you can do

INSERT INTO localtable SELECT * FROM foreign_table;

to transfer the data, without any intermediary file storage.
In a way, the data are streamed from Oracle to PostgreSQL.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe