Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?

From: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?
Date: 2020-09-23 19:06:29
Lists: pgsql-general

> That would entail building an AI into the code that would deal with
> all the possible OS(versions), Postgres(versions), hardware
> permutations.
>
> I... guess. If "AI" means "a series of ifs". Which is what software...
> is? I doubt that people who can make the world's most advanced open
> source database cannot check the amount of RAM and see how fast the
> CPU/disk is.

But the very nature of "embedded" implies the db is subservient to
something else, and that something else may need most of the resources.

But I heartily agree that tuning a server can be difficult. It's highly
dependent on the context and hardware resources is only a portion of
that context. I've seen generous help on this list for specific
configuration help.