Re: The first dedicated PostgreSQL forum

From: Michael Gould <mgould(at)intermodalsoftwaresolutions(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The first dedicated PostgreSQL forum
Date: 2010-11-13 21:58:14
Lists: pgsql-general

I would like to see this type of setup used.  I use my cell phone for about
90% of my internet access during the day when I'm on the road.  I've found
in the past that forums usually have better search tools and they also will
not fill up my email address.  I find many things in these forums which are
great to be able to save and search on but would like to get rid of the
posts from my emails.  I don't want to not have access to them because when
I'm board I can start to read through threads that interest me.  I just
don't want to have to download the emails to do that.

Best Regards

Mike Gould

"Thom Brown" <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:

>On 13 November 2010 19:44, Thom Brown <<a
>href="mailto:thom(at)linux(dot)com">thom(at)linux(dot)com</a>> wrote:
>
>On 13 November 2010 19:38, Joe Conway <<a target="_blank"
>href="mailto:mail(at)joeconway(dot)com">mail(at)joeconway(dot)com</a>> wrote:
>On 11/13/2010 11:24 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Thom Brown <<a target="_blank"
>href="mailto:thom(at)linux(dot)com">thom(at)linux(dot)com</a>> writes:
>>> It's a shame that a forum can't act as a front-end for a mailing list,
>so
>>> signing up to the forum actually signs you up to a mailing list (if
>you're
>>> not already signed up), but without receiving any emails.  Messages
>posted
>>> to the forum would get sent to the list, and vice versa.
>>
>> That would be cool.  Wonder if there's something like that out there
>already.
>It exists -- not sure what they are using, but for example the Users
>forum here -- <a target="_blank"
>href="http://forum.sipfoundry.org/index.php">http://forum.sipfoundry.org/index.php</a>
>-- is
>bidirectionally linked with <a target="_blank"
>href="mailto:sipx-users(at)list(dot)sipfoundry(dot)org">sipx-users(at)list(dot)sipfoundry(dot)org</a>

 FUDForum by the look of it: <a target="_blank"
href="http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php">http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php</a>

And mailing list integration looks pretty straightforward and well
supported: <a
href="http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Mailing_List_Manager">http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Mailing_List_Manager</a>
 Feasible?  Desirable?

--