Re: If subscription to foreign table valid ?

From: tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2017-05-12 09:30:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/11/2017 07:13 PM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> I think it does make sense to add check for this into CREATE/ALTER
> SUBSCRIBER though so that user is informed immediately about the mistake
> rather than by errors in the logs later.
+1 , there are few similar cases - where user does not get error at
prompt , for instance
--when publication doesn't not exist
postgres=# create subscription sub connection 'dbname=postgres port=5000
user=centos password=a' publication nowhere;
NOTICE: synchronized table states
NOTICE: created replication slot "sub" on publisher
CREATE SUBSCRIPTION
--No check validation for Publication name in ALTER
postgres=# alter subscription sub set publication _ refresh;
ALTER SUBSCRIPTION
--slot name given in ALTER
postgres=# alter subscription sub with ( slot name='nowhere');
ALTER SUBSCRIPTION
--and due to that , we are not able to drop it later.
postgres=# drop subscription sub;
ERROR: could not drop the replication slot "nowhere" on publisher
DETAIL: The error was: ERROR: replication slot "nowhere" does not exist
postgres=#

--
regards,tushar
EnterpriseDB https://www.enterprisedb.com/