Re: Sthange things happen: SkyTools pgbouncer is NOT a balancer

From: "Asko Oja" <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: dmitry(at)koterov(dot)ru
Cc: "Postgres General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sthange things happen: SkyTools pgbouncer is NOT a balancer
Date: 2007-09-12 12:32:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

One of PgBouncer original design goals is to create small and robust
connection pooler.
If we start adding more and more fancy features like load balancing then we
can easily end up in the same place from which we wanted to get away
(pgPool).

We do our load balancing on ip level when the servers are duplicates of each
other. Good for read only stuff.
Next level of load balancing we use is splitting databases into partitons.
That way we can distriobute one database over several servers. We use
plProxy to do this. Downside is raised complexity. Benefit all the partitons
can be read write. Also good for reducing risks. If one part goes down
others are still functioning.

Asko