Re: Optimize mul_var() for var1ndigits >= 8

From: "Joel Jacobson" <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>
To: "Dean Rasheed" <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimize mul_var() for var1ndigits >= 8
Date: 2024-08-14 06:30:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 13, 2024, at 13:01, Joel Jacobson wrote:
> I think this is acceptable, since it produces more correct results.

In addition, I've traced the rscale_adjustment -15 mul_var() calls to originate
from numeric_exp() and numeric_power(), so I thought it would be good to
brute-force test those as well, to get an idea of the probability of different
results from those functions.

Brute-force testing of course doesn't prove it's impossible to happen,
but millions of inputs didn't cause any observable differences in the
returned results, so I think it's at least very improbable to
happen in practice.

Regards,
Joel

Attachment Content-Type Size
test-mul_var-init.sql application/octet-stream 2.4 KB
test-mul_var-verify.sql application/octet-stream 1.6 KB