Re: wrong message when trying to create an already existing index

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: legrand legrand <legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wrong message when trying to create an already existing index
Date: 2018-03-10 15:16:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On 03/10/2018 07:00 AM, legrand legrand wrote:
> Hello,
> When trying to create an already existing index (in pg 9.5)
>
> SQL> create index if not exists NEWINDEX on SCHEMA.TABLE(COL);
> > relation "NEWINDEX" already exists, skipping
>
> message speaks about relation (and not index)

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/catalog-pg-class.html

"The catalog pg_class catalogs tables and most everything else that has
columns or is otherwise similar to a table. This includes indexes (but
see also pg_index), sequences (but see also pg_sequence), views,
materialized views, composite types, and TOAST tables; see relkind.
Below, when we mean all of these kinds of objects we speak of
“relations”. Not all columns are meaningful for all relation types."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com