pg_dump issues

From: DM <dm(dot)aeqa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump issues
Date: 2010-02-02 23:07:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

I have a database with only one schema with 5 tables

nspname | relname | size
---------+---------------------+---------
sch | job1 | 211 MB
sch | job2 | 5611 MB
sch | job3 | 6584 kB
sch | job4 | 89 MB
sch | job5 | 39 MB

Total sum of sizes of the table is less than 6 GB.

When I do a pg_dump of this database it is 20GB (I also did a pg_dump of
only schema data and the size was still the same). I am using postgres 8.4.1
version.

Could any one explain why the pg_dump size of the file is 3 times the size
of the tables?

Thanks
Deepak