Re: Jargon and acronyms on this mailing list

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2024-09-09 17:02:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-09-08 Su 11:35 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I think HEAD is commonly misused to mean master instead of the latest
>> commit of the current branch. I see the buildfarm even does that.
>> Thanks for getting that right in your blog post.
> IIRC, HEAD *was* the technically correct term back when we were
> using CVS. Old habits die hard.

Yeah. The reason we kept doing it that way in the buildfarm was that for
a period we actually had some animals using CVS and some using that
new-fangled git thing.

I guess I could try to write code to migrate everything, but it would be
somewhat fragile. And what would we do if we ever decided to migrate
"master" to another name like "main"? I do at least have code ready for
that eventuality, but it would (currently) still keep the visible name
of HEAD.

cheers

andrew

--