Re: Creating a trigger function

From: Peter Erickson <news(at)redlamb(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creating a trigger function
Date: 2004-04-04 19:40:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Ok, I have determined that i can't do:
IF NEW IS NOT NULL -- or -- IF OLD IS NOT NULL
and that is what is causing the error.

So, with this now known, is there a way to create a trigger & function
that will allow inserts, updates, and deletes to occur while updating a
field (mtime) in another table? At the same time, if an update takes
place, it updates the modified time field (mtime) to the current time.

I can them all to work individually by modifying the function, but I
cant get the to all work in the same function. Do I need to create a
trigger for inserts/updates and another for deletes?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If it helps, here are the table definitions:

CREATE TABLE journals (
id int NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('journal_id_seq'::text),
owner_id int NOT NULL,
name varchar(15) NOT NULL,
descr varchar(50) NOT NULL,
ctime timestamp NOT NULL DEFAULT ('now'::text)::timestamp(6),
mtime timestamp NOT NULL DEFAULT ('now'::text)::timestamp(6),
CONSTRAINT journals_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id),
CONSTRAINT fkey_user_id FOREIGN KEY (owner_id) REFERENCES users
(user_id) ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE,
CONSTRAINT journal_descr CHECK descr::text <> ''::text,
CONSTRAINT journal_name CHECK name::text <> ''::text
);

CREATE TABLE journal_entries
(
id int NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('journal_ent_id_seq'::text),
journ_id int NOT NULL,
entry varchar(1000) NOT NULL,
ctime timestamp NOT NULL DEFAULT ('now'::text)::timestamp(6),
mtime timestamp NOT NULL DEFAULT ('now'::text)::timestamp(6),
CONSTRAINT journal_entries_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id),
CONSTRAINT fkey_journal_id FOREIGN KEY (journ_id) REFERENCES journals
(id) ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION,
CONSTRAINT entry_check CHECK entry::text <> ''::text
);