Re: How to ensure column names are double quoted while using execute format when building a stored procedure?

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Shaozhong SHI <shishaozhong(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to ensure column names are double quoted while using execute format when building a stored procedure?
Date: 2021-12-16 22:04:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/16/21 13:11, Shaozhong SHI wrote:
> When I used SQL identifier, it stopped working.  The command line gets
> interpreted as following:
>
> insert into stats select "1" as id, 'count of nulls in
> "UNIQUE_REFERENCE_NUMBER"' as checks,
> count("""UNIQUE_REFERENCE_NUMBER""") from
> points_of_interest."pointx_v2_National_Coverage_Sep21" where
> """UNIQUE_REFERENCE_NUMBER""" is null

"""UNIQUE_REFERENCE_NUMBER""" is a tip off that your are quoting the
double quotes when passing the identifier name into the format:

select format('select * from %I', '"UNIQUE_REFERENCE_NUMBER"');
format
select * from """UNIQUE_REFERENCE_NUMBER"""

instead of doing as shown here
(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/functions-string.html#FUNCTIONS-STRING-FORMAT),
which is pass in just a string with no double quotes:

select format('select * from %I', 'UNIQUE_REFERENCE_NUMBER');
format
select * from "UNIQUE_REFERENCE_NUMBER"

This:

'count of nulls in "UNIQUE_REFERENCE_NUMBER"'

is just plain incorrect syntax.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com